Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Monday, August 13, 2007

Doing my homework

I mentioned in my post the other day that I had a Honey Baked Ham bone. I did some additional research, and I did find that ALL THEIR MEAT contains wheat and soy in the glaze. So thank goodness I didn't eat a hunk of it, and I wish I'd known that before I dropped $20 on the stuff Saturday.

That, of course, is my fault, not theirs. I didn't do my homework. Their customer service rep was wonderfully nice, and she sent me this link that shows all their details. I am glad I contacted them to ask this. They were lovely about it.

http://www.honeybakedonline.com/HBOnline/nutritionalInfo/Index.asp?Ref=7128361:224053764&MIDS=26:-1:0

But I finally have a product that I can truly say, "I'm going to miss that a lot."

I also checked out Chick-Fil-a and Einstein's Bagels. We have both on campus. I need to find out what brand of vinegar our Chick uses, but there are options there, thanks to their wonderful nutritional information.
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/gluten.asp

And Einsteins has two salads that will work. I know this because I called a quizzed the people there. Their nutrition information is more about calories and less about ingredients. That troubles me, but I can make it work.

One of the hardest things I've faced is explaining why I can't just "take the meat off the bread," or why it matters if the pickles are fried in the same stuff as the French fries. After the elimination diet I was on, even the smallest amount of guten causes trouble. It's getting tougher and tougher to eat out. I need to get more organized, that's for sure.

Maintaining a GF lifestyle can be time consuming and annoying. But happily, it's worth it. I've never felt better!

Much love and have some ham for me :-)
Ging

2 comments:

Bill said...

I'm the ham sandwich queen. I'll think of you from now on!

Joy Peterson said...

Carter-
I thought about you today at WalMart while buying groceries...I ran across this peanut butter...made by Peanut butter & Company...it was a cinnamon raisin flavor and I looked on the back and it said gluten free...their web site is www.ilovepeanutbutter.com I know you've found your favorite p-nut butter, but this co. has several flavors that looked good...I might try them out at some point...