Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Corned Beef and Cabbage Casserole


Thanks to Carrie, Ginger Lemon Girl, for sending me pictures of this dish!

Sometimes, I worry when I post a favorite like this that my friends will think I have no taste at all. After all, this is my second cabbage recipe in one month (though I've gotten lots of props for the Sweet and Sour Unstuffed Cabbage recipe.

When I was in high school, my Mom would make this recipe for us when my Daddy was out of town on business. I always considered it decadent -- and irresistible.

Over the years, I have tweaked it in such a way that it is delicious -- creamy. crunchy, salty, peppery. Sadly, it is again one of those recipes that none of my boys will eat.

And those of you who can only think about breast milk and cabbage -- you need to get over that and try this. It's really good.

Corned Beef and Cabbage Casserole

One can of Corned Beed
One package of cabbage slaw mix -- with carrots if you like that kind (I do).
One can of Cream of Mushroom Soup (Health Valley or Progresso are GF)
-or- if you're not GF, regular CofM soup
One small onion, chopped fine

Cornbread topping (GF) use a half recipe of your favorite sweet GF cornbread mix, or use mine:
1/2 cup GF cornmeal
1/2 cup GF flour
2 T. Sugar or 1 T. Splenda
1 egg, beaten
1/4 c. oil
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1 t. Baking Powder
1/2 c. milk (to make a medium thick batter)

-or - if you're not GF -- Jiffy Cornbread Mix prepared

Place cabbage and onion in an 8 by 8 microwave safe baking pan. Microwave for 4 minutes until crisp tender, stir, then add salt and pepper (generous amount of pepper)
Crumble corned beef on top of cabbage
Top with soup mix.
Pour prepared corn bread mix on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown.
Let stand for 10 minutes, and serve.

Much love, and happy cabbage!
Ging

8 comments:

Carrie said...

I AM trying this Ginger! I have a serious weakness for cabbage! I didn't eat it growing up, but my husband's family makes it and I fell in love. I LOVE cabbage... don't worry people think i'm wierd too! That's okay! We're cabbage-loving-gluten-free gals!! ;-) Great recipe!!

Carrie said...

PS... here's my recipe for homemade cream soup:

http://gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com/2007/09/10th-post-and-stacys-pork-chops.html

look at the bottom of the page for the cream soup recipe! It's yummy!!

Carrie said...

well... i don't think that link will work, heres the recipe:

GF Condensed Cream of.... soup

1 cup milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp MSG-free chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash of freshly ground pepper

1. In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.
2. Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
3. Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for 1-3 minutes more to thicken.
4. Add ingredients for desired cream soup: For our recipe, I added 1 c. of sliced sauteed mushrooms and SPIKE garlic seasoning to create a Cream of Mushroom and Garlic soup.

Kate said...

Ging-
A woman after my own heart - Cabbage and Corned Beef? Babe! You're Irish!

I love it! =)

celticjig said...

I have a weakness for corned beef, potatoes and cabbage! Sounds like comfort food to me! I am so happy that I recently discovered Healthy Valley Cream o Mush! I had no idea Progresso is too, probably because my store doesn't carry it, but they do carry their clam chowder and I think that was GF. I am back from lovely Charleston! I did get some red rice, but no She-Crab soup - everyone used roux and I asked at a lot of places, so now I am craving something I haven't even eaten before, how is that possible?

Bill said...

I have no interest in trying the recipe, but I still enjoyed the blog!

Kate said...

Hey Ginger -
How does Splenda swap out for sugar in cookie recipes?
I need to convert some of my favorite GF cookie recipe for my now diabetic aunt (who is also GF with me).
Thanks for the help!
-Kate

Sheltie Girl said...

Ohhh, I agree with Cheekalina, corned beef and cabbage is great! Thanks for sharing with us.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go