Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

The @JC100 recipe du jour -- Coq au Vin

I have a confession to make.  I have NEVER liked Coq au Vin. Never. 

With all due respect to La Julia, though, I'm sharing the print of the recipe from The Way to Cook, her tome published Copyright © 1989 by Julia Child. Reprinted with permission from the publisher Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc. My friend Sandy actually has an autographed copy of that book -- I am jealous of that fact.

Now, back to why I don't like Coq au Vin.  It all begins with a big old Rhode Island Red Chicken who looked a lot like Foghorn Leghorn of Looney Tunes fame.

We were raising chickens 10 years ago or so -- we finally had some eggs who hatched.  But it was getting cold, so Blanton decided to expedite the Coq. A colleague even told me how to skin him, which I shared.  It was pretty normal looking when it came in the house. No skin, but no feathers or feet.

I created a Coq au Vin Julia would have been proud of, but alas, I couldn't deal with the fact that the rooster's brother was still wandering in the yard. I could not eat it.

Now, I love the idea of a great chicken stew. And I've grown from that a lot -- more realistic, I guess -- but I just couldn't eat the chicken back then.

Now, I can't have the recipe because of the wine content.  Sigh. Damn chemo shot.

I will say that my Dad's sweetie is a devotee of this recipe (and I couldn't eat when she made it with a chicken dispatched by Kroger.)

Now, we make the beurre manie with gluten-free flour blend but it would still be the same.

I hope you enjoy!

But I just can't do it.  





No comments: