Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Friday, December 9, 2011

A Review: Dr. McDougall's Soups





A few weeks ago, I got the offer to try some of Dr. McDougall's Vegan and Gluten-Free Soups.  I was especially interested because many of the soups are also gluten free, which is the most essential part of my diet.

I love soup.  I am not a vegan.  I was afraid the combination of these two concepts would be a problem.

WRONG.  I honestly have to say I have slurped -- yes slurped -- up these delicious soups in a number of ways in the last three weeks, and now that I'm at the end of the samples, they'll land on my shopping list for the future.

Here's why I like them so much.

1.  Flavor: Take the black bean soup.



  I am a HUGE fan of this flavor soup, but this is really amazing. It is thick and chunky, with delightful traces of lime and cilantro.  On a bed of rice with a little jalapeno pepper -- wow.

The below is about the product and the good doctor, taken directly from the website:


About Dr. McDougall
Dr. John McDougall, M.D. is one of the founding fathers of natural wellness.  A best selling author and board-certified internist, he has been writing and speaking about the effects of nutrition on health for over 30 years. His guiding principle, and ours, is that people should feel great, and enjoy the best possible health for a lifetime.

As the founder and medical director of the nationally renowned McDougall Program, Dr. McDougall has helped thousands improve their health and their quality of life by teaching people about the benefits of a plant based, heart healthy diet rich in good starches like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, rice, pasta and legumes.
To find out more, www.drmcdougall.com has a discussion board with support groups and other wonderful forums, recipes to make at home, tips for eating out, links to Dr. McDougall’s Newsletters, and information about McDougall Wellness Events and his upcoming book, The Starch Solution. We highly recommend you take a look.
How Dr. McDougall’s Right Foods Began.

We started the Dr. McDougall's Right Foods line sixteen years ago because we wanted to make the delicious foods from the McDougall Program accessible to everyone. Over the years, we’ve expanded our product selection to include 42 delicious, nutritious and convenient meals. We are proud to report today that Dr. McDougall’s Right Foods® is the nation’s leading natural meal cup brand.
2. Now, here's the thing that sold me most of all on this product:  PRICE POINT.  I found these soups (almost all of them, actually) at SuperTarget for about $2.40 a box.  That is really reasonably priced, considering it is vegan, organic, and one box can easily serve two people.

3. I've taken a few boxes to my office and stored them in my food drawer -- on a rushed day, they could easily be eaten out of the box (without heating) and would be a good quick lunch.

4.  And most importantly, perhaps.  Sustainability.  This company cares about our earth.  That means a lot to me.

I am really happy to have gotten information about Dr. McDougall's soups and I appreciate the samples. My choices of GF soups continues to grow, and as a soup girl, well, that just makes me feel good. I can't wait to try some of the other foods -- the idea of a tamale product and pad thai, well, they make my heart go pitter pat.  And my tummy growl.  YUM.

I hope you'll try them!

Much love,
Ging

No comments: