Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Samples, information share product brand information



This post is in honor of two companies who recently sent me samples of their gluten-free foods.  They're good friends, I think, but I also am proud they reach out to me about posting about their products. 


I'm talking about Amy's Organic Kitchen (who sent me shortbread cookies) and Crunchmaster Crackers.  The two aren't really competitors (for instance, I'd serve Crunchmaster Crackers with a bowl of Amy's gluten-free Tomato soup....) so I hope they don't mind sharing this spotlight on my blog.


Both, I must say candidly, are big favorites of mine. You'll find both in my pantry and freezer (though sadly, I have eaten through an enormous stash of Amy's GF Mac and Cheese in the last few weeks since I got sick again).  But  I consider both companies go-to for great gluten-free food. I've written about them a lot here on my blog.  And I expect I'll do more in the future.


They are Gluten-Free Superpowers!


But I often find myself with samples and information I'm very fond of, but I find unique ways to use them in the dissemination of their information.  And both Crunchmaster and Amy's put me in that position very recently.


Amy's Kitchen Gluten-Free Shortbread


Amy's Kitchen sent me three samples of its wonderful shortbread cookies recently.  They came, though, at a time when I knew Spectum PR at Georgia College was planning its annual Survivors in Pink Banquet.  And since last year, I've felt compelled to donate items to this event because I support the cause (breast cancer) and my students.


So I gobbled down one box of the shortbread and donated two to Survivors in Pink, offering a gluten-free dessert for an elegant reception for Breast Cancer Survivors.  These shortbread cookies are lovely -- they could be served with a chocolate dipping sauce, for instance, or alongside fruit.  They're really special.  Tasty.  Worth it.


Best of all, the report from the event was the cookies were gobbled up by the gluten-free and gluten-eaters alike.


Way to go, Amy's Kitchen.  Thank you for continuing to serve and expand your gluten-free options.  I love you  so much!  Kudos.


Here's the great video from the event!










Amy’s new classic Shortbread cookies are made with all natural, simple ingredients just like Amy’s grandmother would make for her as a child. Today, like many people, Amy doesn’t eat wheat, but she still loves shortbread cookies. So our chefs created a delicious shortbread cookie that is gluten free. Now, everyone can enjoy them!


Crunchmaster Organic Multi-Grain Crisps and White Cheddar Crackers

Cruchmaster Crackers may not know it, but they served as a great example for my Principles of Public Relations Class this week.  I didn't offer my samples of the new sea salt crisps or crackers (sorry, eaten by us a long time ago......) BUT Crunchmaster's incredible new press kit is now offered on a neat little jump drive.  I am proud to use this incredible GF product to showcase good PR Practice to my students!

One of the great things I found on the media drive were some great recipes using the product.  I submit one here for your use!  I would SO totally make this recipe -- I have all the ingredients except the crabmeat!  And I think you'll like it a lot.

Crab Cakes with Creamy Cocktail Sauce from Crunchmaster
Crab Cakes Ingredients 16 ounces crab meat, picked over and flaked1 ½ cups finely crushed Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Crackers Sea Salt2 large eggs, lightly beaten¼ cup minced green onions, white and green parts½ cup mayonnaise, use dividedJuice of 1 lemonSeveral dashes of hot sauce, use divided¼ teaspoon salt½ teaspoon pepper¼ cup vegetable oil2 tablespoons unsalted butter¼ cup cocktail sauceLemon wedges for serving Directions Combine crabmeat with ¼ cup cracker crumbs, eggs, green onions, ¼ cup mayonnaise, lemon juice, 4 or 5 dashes of hot sauce, salt and pepper, mix well.  Pour remaining cracker crumbs into a dinner plate or shallow bowl. Shape crab mixture into 12 cakes using ¼ cup mixture for each cake.  Coat the crab cakes with cracker crumbs, lightly pressing the crumbs into the cakes.  Place crab cakes on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until butter is melted.  Cook the crab cakes in batches (do not overcrowd the pan) for 3 – 4 minutes per side or until golden brown on the bottom.
 Sauce Whisk together the remaining ¼ cup mayonnaise with the cocktail sauce and 3 or 4 dashes of hot sauce.
 Serve the crab cakes with the creamy cocktail sauce and lemon wedges.


 Thank you Crunchmaster for a great product and a great recipe AND a great example for my class.  And by the way?  You'll find the crisps and crackers at WalMart now.  They are, as I've mentioned before, a reasonable cracker for anyone on Weight Watchers, and I especially love them with salsa and hummus. Here's a link to some coupons.  Oh and here's a post on them from the past.

'\
 The end, with much love,
Ging

No comments: