Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Gluten-Free Mecca in Atlanta: TWO Urban Licks

Friends, I had another phenomenal dining experience in Atlanta last weekend. (Julie, Jenn, Joy, JP - Read the P.S.)

Promise me, GF and non-GF friends alike, if you need a place to dine in the ATL, you'll go to TWO Urban Licks.

And this man? Chef Cameron Thompson? He's a saint.


Now, let me tell you about the menu. I called ahead (as usual) as asked my vetting questions. When we got there, the host asked, "Now who's my gluten-free diner?" At the table, Billy, our waiter, asked the same question.

Then, the miracle happened. Billy took a menu into the kitchen and came back with it PERSONALLY ANNOTATED FOR ME by Chef Thompson. In all my time as a GF diner, I've NEVER had that kind of personal service. NEVER. I mean, I've had great chefs, and great suggestions, but a PERSONALLY annotated menu? Amazing.

And friends, there was a lot to choose from on this menu. Read this description below:

"All of the small plates are ideal for sharing or savoring on your own. A few of the menu’s highlights include the Salmon Chips, loaded with short smoked salmon, chipotle cream cheese, capers, and red onion; Lamb Lollipops served with grape chile jam and goat cheese; entrĂ©e options include Pork Shoulder with NY baked cheddar macaroni and pork jus; and the Bronzed Sea Scallops served over smoked gouda grits in a tomato broth."


Of all those items described above, only the macaroni and cheese was off limits -- and I could have ordered the pork with another side dish. Both Randy and a new friend, Enoch, had the pork. I tasted it....mmmmmmmmmmmmm. You could, to quote Billy, "eat it with a spoon."

I had the salmon chips and the scallops, and an assortment of homemade ice cream for dessert. Delish!

Now, I hoped to show you a picture of the menu but the beautiful annotations wouldn't show up on the camera. And I'm still waiting for pics from Enoch of this beautiful place.

But I wanted to post this message. I felt so wonderful dining at TWO, and I know you will love it, TOO!

Much love, and visit the website and enjoy the music, too!
Ging

P.S. Turns out, small world, Billy was Chris Harrell's former roomie and best friend. We had a great time calling Chris on Billy's phone, and laughing. I mean, who would have thought this guy was best friends with one of your old classmates from GC?

6 comments:

Bill said...

What a small world. That is hilarious! I'm dying to know what Chris Harrell is up to - will call you as soon as life calms down a bit.

Love AND Miss you,
j

Joy Peterson said...

That is funny. Just think, if I had moved in with Chris like he asked me too, then I probably would have known Billy and I could have told you how accommodating this place would have been.

No offense to you, but I am still glad I didn't move to the ATL with Chris...but like Boucek, I'd like to know what he's up to as well.

Glad you had a wonderful dining experience...

GF in Cleveland said...

I happened across your blog from the GF blog & news ring and I just wanted to say how completely awesome to have such attention from a chef!

I'm glad you had such a great meal and I hope other chefs out there see this and learn what real service means! If I ever go to atlanta, I will have to remember that place, for sure.

The Watsons said...

Sounds like a yummy place! I LOVE that they took such good care of our Carter.

What the heck is Chris Harrell up to these days? Such a small world...

Tiffany said...

That is so cool! What a great sounding restaurant :) Maybe if we ever have the chance to head out that way, we can go there. Thanks for the tip!

paris paperdoll said...

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 weeks ago & just stumbled across your blog. I have lived in the Atlanta area for 9 years now (I am from South Africa) & Two Urban Licks is my FAV of ALL FAV restaurants....I am so excited that I get to venture out of my kitchen & eat something yummy at a restaurant, let alone my FAV!!! Thank you so so so much for the post....I feel like I can eat again!

Michelle