Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

GF Sesame Flax Bread



I just made a variation of the GF Flax Bread that has been circulating on the Delphi Forums Celiac site, only I baked it in my Crock Pot. I have to say, I'm minutes away from tossing out my old bread machine. This is the second loaf of bread I've made in the Crock Pot, and I'm sold.

Here's what I did:
Dry ingredients:
2 cups GF flour mix (mine has two rice flours, tapioca, potato and cornstarch).
1/4 c. sesame seeds (I love sesame seeds)
1/4 c. ground flax meal (flax seeds). I keep mine in the fridge at all times.
1 package dry yeast
2 1/2 t. xanthan gum
1 t. salt

Wet ingredients:
Heat 1 cup milk to 120 degrees (microwave about 45 seconds), then beat in the following:
2 eggs
2 egg whites
2 t. molasses
2 t. cidar vinegar
(The milk mixture will be about 110 degrees, the perfect temp for dissolving yeast).

I mixed this together in a bowl with a hand mixer for three minutes.
I put it directly in a greased round six-quart Crock Pot, which I vented with a wooden spoon.

I let it bake for 3 hours on simmer high, then I flipped it over and baked for an additional 30 minutes on simmer low. I removed it from the Crock to a wire rack and let it set for 15 minutes before slicing.

It doubled in size, was crusty, and it tastes delicious -- very crunchy and crusty. In the Crock Pot, it makes a beautiful crusty artisanal loaf of bread. I would serve this to any dinner party.

Another great adaptation of this bread! Instead of buying another bread maching, I'm going to buy another CROCK POT!

And ok Stevie, you win. I have a LITTLE baking gene. But just a little...

Much love from Ging the Crock Pot baker

6 comments:

Aimlesswriter said...

I found your crockpot bread recipe on delphi Celiac forum.
Wow! I ditched my bread machine when I went GF in 2003 because I was afraid of cross contamination. I never thought to used the crock pot. You're a genius!
Did you leave the spoon in to vent for the whole 3 hours?

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Can't take credit for the idea. The GF Crockpot lady is the one who came up with the method. I've just tried it and used it.

And yes, vent it throughout.

a kelly said...

CONGRATS!!
You have the baking gene!!

I gotta try the crockpot thing...it's brilliant.

Sheltie Girl said...

Your loaf of bread turned out beautifully. I love the idea of using your crock pot. Yeah! Another use for a kitchen appliance.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Stephanie ODea said...

yay, ginger! that looks *amazing*. yum!

xxo
steph

Jenn said...

I can not wait to try this! Thanks!!