Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Crock Pot Pork Tenders

This past weekend, my mind knew what I would be doing today, so I cooked and ate with abandon on both Saturday and Sunday.

I did come up with a very tasty adaptation of an old favorite, though, for the Crock Pot. I also made a discovery.

Minute Rice will cook almost as quickly in a Crock Pot as it does on a stove top.

Now, I know this is silly, but I love Minute Rice. It was always the Rudeseal Rice of Choice. Oh sure, I can make the fancy rices (and I can make perfect rice the long-cooked way). But I love Minute Rice just the same.

What I discovered was a tasty rice dish with melt-in-your-mouth pork tenders, all easily done. Jeffrey liked it, too.

Try it: You'll like it. And yes, actually, it is reasonably low fat (pork tenderloins are). I COULD (and would) eat it on my new eating plan. I just don't have any left :-) I finished the rice last night.

Crock Pot Pork Tenders

2 pounds of pork tenderloins, whole (cook it whole for better texture) Sure, chicken tenders will work fine here!
1 half package fresh sliced mushrooms
1/2 chopped onion
I can of Progresso Cream of Mushroom Soup (if you use Campbell's, add a half can of water to it).
1 1/2 cups Minute Rice

Serves four - six easily.

Put onions, mushrooms, and pork in Crock Pot in that order. Season pork generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc. I used a generous sprinkle of Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb, as well as some red pepper flakes.
Top with a can of Progresso Cream of Mushroom Soup.

DO NOT STIR.

Cook on simmer LOW for the whole day (not high).
When you come home from work, take the pork out of the Crock Pot and set aside, then cut it into six serving pieces.
Pour Minute Rice into juice and stir. Cover with lid and let sit while you get the rest of dinner ready, or change the baby, or whatever -- about 20 minutes should do it.

Rice will absorb the liquid in the Crock Pot and soften. The longer you leave it the more it will thicken. 20 should do it, but 30 won't hurt.

Fluff rice (which now has mushrooms, etc. in it) and top with pork.

Much love, and I hope you you're had a day free of April Fools.

Ging

P.S. I fed my ad copywriting class a WHOLE BAG of mini Snickers today. I'm serious....cuz I'm serious.

6 comments:

Bill said...

I always have an issue with rice. Even Minute Rice. It is either too soupy or too dry. I'll have to try your way.

celticjig said...

So, let me get this straight, Minute rice takes 20 minutes in the crock pot?
Anything with pork always sounds good to me!

Cassandra said...

Why do they call it Minute Rice when it takes 9 minutes to make?
(Can you tell I had 2 microwaves in my house growing up? I'm not impatient or anything, lol.)

Michael Young said...

This looks great. I'm happy to have found your blog -- as I am gluten free in Jacksonville, FL.

Gluten Free Steve said...

Sounds like the perfect lazy day comfort dish. I need to find Progesso's Cream of Shroom soup...I have never seen it here in Denver. I'll be in Indiana next week and will check out some grocery stores there...

Joy Peterson said...

This sounds really good...I might have to try it out this weekend...I have a phobia about leaving my crock pot on all day while I am not at home, so crock pot dishes work best on weekends for me...