Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Joyful reunions (A Sunday Blessing)



This past week has been stressful and busy -- it has been advising week (I have 51 advisees) AND midterm/drop week. Yesterday, my PR and Administration class had two events in one day for Alumni Homecoming Weekend, and my Dad and Mary were coming in for the unveiling of a brick walkway on our campus (a project of the MSCM program and two of my classes).

Whew. Just writing that made me tired.

But I wanted to write to say how much I enjoyed seeing each and every one of my former students who showed up for our alumni reunion. It was GRAND! This was the first time we'd done this -- one of my classes just created a MSCM Alumni Network as a project -- and we had about 30 alums show up, from 1997 to 2007. kudos to the PR admin class, pictured above. They did an awesome job.

It was grand. Just grand.

Jeffrey got to have a glorious Papa weekend -- he loves my Daddy in ways I never imagined a child could love his grandpa -- and he spent a lot of time curled up with him on the couch. There was my six foot tall son, a blanket wrapped around his head, with his big size 12 feet in my Daddy's lap. Priceless. I wish I could do that. I was just proud my Daddy and Mary could come to the unveiling yesterday -- it made me proud to introduce him to my students, to our president, and to my friends.

It was a glorious weekend. IMHO, all that was missing was my Randy, but he'll be here this coming weekend for his Spring break.

I thawed out some of my lasagna for dinner Friday and we had a nice time. To go with them, I made some drop biscuits I found on the "Book of Yum" site. They were so delicious, I wanted to post my adaptation here. You non GF readers could make this easily with a mix like Bisquick...and it is worth it.

Drop Biscuits

2 cups GF baking.pancake mix. I used a mix of Pamela's and Arrowhead Mills (Non GF folks could use a package of pancake mix sold on the baking aisle -- or Bisquick).
1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese (not fat free)
1/2 stick melted margerine or butter or some combo
2/3 cup milk (I used buttermilk)

Mix and moosh in a bowl (is moosh a word?) and drop on a WELL GREASED baking sheet. Bake for 17 - 22 minutes until they are crispy and golden. You NEED to greased the pan, even with a baking spray, or the biscuits may stick.

Book of Yum, you hit a homer with these...I am going to Red Lobster these up with some shredded cheese and garlic, and brush them with garlic butter.

Hope you all have a glorious rest of the weekend.

Much love, and pass me a biscuit!
Ging

P.S. Just found out that the beautiful Whitney Fee, one of my students and advisees (and dear, dear one) won Miss GCSU! I am so happy for her, and I'm GLAD I wore that button all week (and the t-shirt, too! YAY for Whitney.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Wish our little group could have been there. Some day we will all storm that campus again. And they better LOOK OUT when we do!

Gluten Free Steve said...

Look at you go - baking biscuits! And you say you don't have the baking gene....

Hopefully this coming week will be a much slower week for you.

Joy Peterson said...

Glad that the reunion was successful...wish we could have been there too...

Laura said...

Wish Sean and I could have made it to Alumni weekend!!! Sounds like it was sooo much fun. I miss you terribly and I know Sean does too. NY is pretty cool, but it will never compare to the place that all the people we love and care for are... GA! I'm looking forward to a glorious reunion!

Take care and send our love to everyone.

-Laura

ps. Those biscuits sounds pretty awesome! :)

a kelly said...

mmm...biscuits!!

biscuits aside...(but not too far aside) I love the way you delight in your students!

Whitney Fee said...

Thanks for the blog recognition. Your support was much appreciated! Love
Whitney