Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Gimme a swig of that -- Redbridge Beer Bread



Yes, I did use the B word. Baking. But this is MY kind of baking -- so, so easy.

I mentioned the other day that since Redbridge worked so well with brats, could it be possible it could make a decent beer bread. You know that recipe, I'm sure -- I think I discovered it about the same time I discovered beer, which was around 1974. Anyway, all beer bread takes is some flour, some baking powder, some salt, some beer, some sugar, and an hour in a loaf pan. Easy peezy.

Well, friends, Redbridge makes one heck of a loaf of beer bread, as you see from that picture above. It was perfect in an hour, great crust, dense crumb, no sog. Gosh, it would be good with soup, goulash, chili, a ton of cheese under the broiler, or just warm with butter. I tried one slice, and the only thing I'd do is add more salt to the mix.

Here's the recipe:

1 bottle GF bread (or just regular beer for you non GF folks) 12 oz. Use a room temp bottle if you have one.
3 cups GF flour mix (I used some Arrowhead Mills baking mix I wanted to get rid of. Turns out it was the GF equivalent of self rising flour). If you're not GF, use plain old all purpose flour and follow along.
1 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. xanthan gum (leave out if you're not a GF baker)
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt (this is important to flavor. I didn't use enough).

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and pour on beer. The batter will be thick but not lumpy.
Pour into a greased loaf pan (or bake in muffin cups)

Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes or until it is crusty on top and sounds hollow when thumped.

Put out on a rack. Take a stick of butter or margerine and run it over the top lightly to glaze.

That's it. Worked great.

Much love, and boy now my house smells like bread!
Ging

P.S. I had to add this: I just got home from having dinner with a former student, and while I was gone, Jeffrey ate 2/3 of the loaf of bread with a whole stick of margerine. I would say that qualifies it as a success.

2 comments:

Gluten Free Steve said...

I've always been one to skimp on salt when baking, and always after realize it's needed for a reason. Look at you go - baking. I'm so proud of you.

Bill said...

You are branching out with your GF skills! Looks yummy - I can smell the goodness all the way up here...