Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Soup for 100


Tonight I felt like I was in a chapter of the book Stone Soup. You remember that book, where the guy starts out with a rock and some water, and all his friends brough stuff to make a good soup.

Well I brought the pot, two onions, some old celery, and a bag of Tinkyada fusili. And I still have a large container of soup left, after feeding 83 people and sending a gracious plenty home with two different people.

So here's the short version of the story. I made a minnestrone soup for the Relay For Life Kickoff, which my class always plans and fundraises, and the soup is what the team had on the menu. I'm Italian, and that's an easy one. Two of my classes brough in stuff for the food for tonight, and a few of us made the food. Shoutout to the early cooking crew: Georgia, Rachel, Lindsey, Katie, and Mallory Jones, chopper extraordinaire.

The hard part? Not tasting the food with gluten (three pans of homemade Monkey Bread that Rachel, Georgia, and Katie assembled as I drooled). We did the soup and the spinach dip, and then I let them get to work on the stuff with Gluten.

OK, so to the soup: It was awesome. I was suprised, but it was really good. So here is the recipe for the minnestrone soup I made tonight.

This is scaled down for a big pot of soup.

2 cans of chicken or veggie broth (about a quart of broth)
2 cans of Italian spiced diced tomatoes (around 28 ounces)
one chopped red (or yellow) onion and a half cup chopped celery
1 can each kidney and garbanzo beans
1 can green beans (drained)
1 can drained diced potatoes
2 fresh zucchini, sliced thin

Sautee the onion and zucchini in olive oil and then add all the canned stuff. Season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and a generous pinch of Italian seasoning (about 2 t.).

Simmer for a couple of hours on the stove. Turn it off, add 1 - 2 cups of Tinkyada fusili and let stand for about 20 minutes. Soup will be perfectly thick and the pasta will al dente (and not mushy at all).

Correct seasoning. Before serving, sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese.

Much love, and I'm going to drop into a sleepy heap now.

Ging the soup meister

6 comments:

docsmith said...

This sounds delicious and easy! That's a winning combination. I've got a CrockPot of beef stew (made with apple cider to give it a little tang) to feed me this week, but some minestrone after that sounds fabulous. And then maybe taco soup....

Carrie said...

sounds yummy and delicious ginger!! i love easy soups this time of year! You need to head over to my blog and check out the cornbread debate... do you like it sweet? (please say you do dear sweet ginger!!) ;-p I'm glad you are involved in relay for life! i want to get involved this year!

Gluten Free Steve said...

This sounds good. I'm craving some good soup or stews or something from the crock pot!

Bill said...

I knew you would pull it off easily! You know how you Italian women are - you girls can cook!

It does look yummy. Yet another recipe for my book....

K Allrich said...

I love soup weather! Glad to know the Tinkyada fusili works well in soup.

:)

Unknown said...

Check out my page now-is that better? Thanks for the tip!! Your soup looks and sounds yummy!