Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Anniversary to Randy and ME! (More than a Sunday Blessing)



Two years ago today, Randy and I got married. With the birth of my son, Jeffrey, our wedding day ties for the honor of happiest day of my life.

I'd been unhappily married before -- we tried, we really did. But on this second wedding day, I felt none of the apprehension or anxiety I felt that first time.

I knew it was right. I still know it's right, in spite of the 410 mile distance. You see, like they said in Sex and the City, you get two chances at GREAT love in your life. And mine came along on a stroll back from the theater in New York City in 2003. Like getting smacked in the head by a two by four.

Those of you who were there remember what a beautiful day our wedding day was -- perfect fall weather, like today -- and how Allen's Market was packed with 100 people. All the flowers were beautiful, the music and readings were so sweet, and we had more fun than should be allowed on such a special, sacred day. It was PERFECT.

So there have been bumps in the past two years -- can't get a job in Tampa, problems with health, etc. -- there has also been much joy. I wouldn't trade a minute of it, even with the six-hour commute. Randy is worth every mile I drive to see him.

Randy wrote me a poem today on my Facebook wall. I had to share it because -- it's all about me and contains tons of inside references.!

You're the top!
You're Penzey's Spice team.
You're the top!
You're Blue Bell ice cream.
You're a Broadway tune that is crooned by Stokes.
You're a Chico's spree,
And gluten-free,
You're Bobby Flay.
You're armadillo cake.
You're Jimmy Choo heels
Jimmie Johnson on wheels.
I'm Nana's cookies, stale soda pop,
But if, honey, I'm the bottom you're the top!

I simply cannot top that. I can't.

But I did write

A recipe for happiness with the man I will always love:

Take one closet full of color-coded jerseys
Combine with a pit stop at Ellis Bros. Pecans
Mix in a quick run to the Original Lee Roy Selmon's for RIBS!
And a trip to the fruit stand for some pineapple.
Add a dash of obsessive weekend football viewing
And trips together all around the world.
Temper it with the frustration of a long-distance romance
but add a hint of humor and patience to balance out the flavor.
Stir up OFTEN and with VIGOR
And you have us: Not perfect, perhaps, but still a damn good mix.

or to quote Don Richardson at our wedding, who quoteth "The Princess Bride":

I asked the Lord of Permanent Affection for the strength to live through the day. [He said], “Mawidge is a dweam of wuv, twuw wuv, wapped wiffin the gweater dweam of everwasting west. Wemember that and wuv wiw fowwow you fowever.”

Happy Anniversary, Randy. Do you really know how much I love you? We might not live together all the time under one roof, but we love together always, with one heart.

G

5 comments:

Bill said...

Love the Bobby Flay ref. in Randy's poem. The magic was already happening when we were there together! What a treat for me to be in on the very beginning of your love story.

May you have many, many more happy years to celebrate in the future. And many more meals at Bobby's restaurant.

Joyous said...

Okay, this about made me cry - you guys are so sweet together!! Your wedding day was honestly one of the sweetest weddings I had ever been to. I know that you are blessed with unconditional love for the rest of your life with Randy. I love you guys!

Raven said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Kate said...

Totally cute!
Happy Anniversary from one November Couple to another!

Wahoo!

Anonymous said...

Aww...happy anniversary! I love the picture at the bottom - you both look so happy!