Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A super use for leftover greens and peas

I'm superstitious, I have to do the whole blackeyed peas and collard greens thing every year. My Mama did it, even though she was a born-and-bred DAMN yankee (i.e. one who came south and never went back).

I loved that we brough blackeyed peas to my Daddy when he was in the hospital on Jan. 1, 1969. I love that I made them for my own in Germany in 1983 in my tiny apartment for my parents, who were visiting for Christmas with their Gradnson.

And I made them the other night before I went to the Outback Bowl.

It dawned on me that a lot of people are forced to eat collard greens on Jan. 1 and then have a lot leftover. Same true for blackeyed peas, too.

I have the solution to this.

Two GFINGF originals for you to start this blogging year off right!

Creamy Collard Casserole

and

Texas Caviar Dip

Creamy Collard Casserole

Two cups cooked collards, well seasoned, drained and squeezed dry
Two cups rice (brown rice is especially good)
Two cups light shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half.
One can (12 oz) gluten-free Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used Imagine brand)
1/2 cup light sour cream
I teaspoon dried chopped shallots (or minced onion)

Mix and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Top with last cup of cheese and brown.

Works with mustard greens, turnips and roots, even spinach.

Texas Caviar

Drain peas well. For every cup of drained peas, add:
1/2 cup of salsa of your choice (chunky and hot are my choice)
1/4 chopped red onion (or shallots)
1/4 cup shredded Jalepeno Jack Cheese
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1 t, chili powder of your choice (I use Penzeys Ancho and Chili 3000)

Mix it up and chill.

Before serving, add I chopped avocado seasoned with one squeezed lime.

YUM. Especially good with Mary's Gone Crackers Onion crackers or RiceWork Crisps

Much love, and Happy New Year
Ging

1 comment:

Dee said...

I am so happy to have discovered your blog! Being born and raised in Savannah I have been wanting GF southern food recipes. Oh how I miss Cracker Barrel and Waffle House! For that matter, I miss all restaurants because no matter how careful I am, eating out around here is just a big roll of the gluten dice even if they provide a gluten-free menu..