Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Soup's ON! (Part One)


Photo from Google Images.


A couple of weeks ago, when I was sick as the proverbial dog and could barely taste anything, I needed a hot, spicy, soup to make me feel better. I'd already worked through all my reserves, so I decided when I went to the grocery store that I'd get the fixins for.....

what? I had no idea. I wanted something hearty, chunky, and spicy.

Then I remembered Ina Garten made a White Chicken Chili -- it was too much white meat and peppers and such, for me, but it gave me an idea.

I came up with this recipe by adding all my favorites to my Crock Pot and cooking them for 8 hours. It's gluten free as written (I checked my brands to be sure), but you can adapt at will.

Now, here's the funny part. It has taken me two weeks to post this, but I swear, Stephanie O'Dea at A Year of Crock Pot Meals has an almost identical recipe posted today. I'm going for the concept that great minds think alike....

But I think this would rock a Super Bowl Party! And it goes without saying that today in Georgia was certainly Chili Weather!

Uncanny Chicken Chili

I package, two pounds, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
I 28 oz. can stewed tomatoes with juice, plus one can water
1 13 oz. (thereabout) canned of chopped tomatoes in juice (can use chili flavor)
One can pinto beans, drained
One can whole kernel corn, drained
I package (GF) Chili mix. I used Wick Fowler's 2 alarm, minus the masa packet. (But it is all GF).
I red onion chopped (I bought the already prepped kind because it was 79 cents marked down)

Put everything in Crock Pot and mix well. Simmer high for six to eight hours.

Serve with.....heck. I put it in a bowl and ate it.

For part two of Soup's ON click and go! I have reviews of two great gluten-free prepackaged soups available on the market!

Much love, and stay warm!
Ging

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ginger,

I LOVE your blog! It was great chatting it up with you and "the bag of mixed nuts" this evening at the Twitter Party! You and Jennifer should get a comedy routine going!

I am going to add you to my blog roll!

All the best,
Heidi