Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Humbly, for Haiti


(Photo from Google Images)

A week ago, our world changed.

A week ago, the small island country of Haiti was devastated by an earthquake. More than 100,000 people are believed dead. And more are injured. And most in the small capital of Port au Prince were displaced -- possibly forever -- from their home.

Yes, this is a blog about cooking and living gluten free, but I want to put this aside to talk about helping people in Haiti survive this catastrophe.

There were ribbons at the Golden Globes and heartfelt sympathy, but did anyone give any money to the people so devastated?
We wore red today for Haiti, but did we give green?

I'm just one person. What can I do?

Consider the words of Edward Everett Hale:

I am only one, but I am one.
I can't do everything, but I can do something.
The something I ought to do, I can do.
And by the grace of God, I will.


Today, the lovely people at Purely Elizabeth, a gluten-free product I admire and respect, committed to donating 10 percent of their sales this week to Doctors without Borders, in support of the people of Haiti.

Such a genuine, heartfelt move. I urge other gluten-free products to do the same. And glutenly products, too.

So here is my contribution. Today I received my quarterly commission from BlogHer, the sponsor of this blog. Tomorrow, I am donating that to the Haitian Relief Fund collections going on at my campus. And tomorrow, my first contribution to Doctors Without Borders begins for one year, in honor of my Dad's partner, Mary Mallison, but especially timely in this crisis.

It is something. Will you do something? There but by the grace of God.....

Much love, especially to the people of Haiti in this time of need.
Ging


A recipe

(Ging's note -- I apologize to Kevin for using his photo, which looked similar to my recipe. I have removed the photo at his request.)

Roasted Rutabaga
Some call the rutabaga the "veggie of last resort." It fits this post, in a way.

A humble dish. Eat a humble meal and give the money you save on food to Haiti.

Peel and cube a medium rutabaga
Place on a sheet pan.
Season with Mrs. Dash garlic and herb, flaked sea salt, freshly ground pepper.
Drizzle with olive oil.

Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, until the veggies are fork tender.
Toss once halfway through.

Add a cup of chopped carrots and sweet potatoes to punch it up.

Yummy

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I feel the same way. It is such an overwhelming event, tragic.

Kevin said...

Ginger,
I'm glad you like my photo. And you're free to use it if you credit me and link to my blog. Otherwise, I must assert my intellectual property rights and ask you to remove the photo.

And also, please make it clear I would never use Mrs. Dash. That's horrid stuff.

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Dear Kevin:

As you see, I have removed your photo. I did give full credit to your blog in the original post, though.

And I'm sorry you don't like Mrs. Dash.

Again I apologize.

Ging

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Dear Chef Kevin:

I humbly apologize and have removed your beautiful photo. Your blog is beautiful, and I am sorry I insulted you my suggesting you'd use Mrs. Dash.

You should know that I got that off Google Images, and it was also posted on the blog I credited. I did not remove your copyright information on the photo, and I thought I gave you full credit. Clearly I did not.

I have learned a lesson today.

Ging