Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Super veggie spaghetti pancake

This is my entry in the Amy's Kitchen and Lundberg Rice Pasta recipe contest. As many of you know, I've been moving and sick all summer.  So I'm sorry for the delay. (Update post coming tonight, promise.)

It's been percolating in my mind since I was invited to participate, but it has taken me a long time to get on the computer to write it up for you and for the sponsors.

But here it is, with the story attached.

*********************

One of my favorite cookbooks of all times is Jane Brody's Good Food Book, circa 1985.  I've recently been revisiting it, because the recipes are so easy to adapt to a gluten-free (and vegetarian) lifestyle.

I always liked her recipe for Spaghetti pie -- it's easy to cook, yummy to eat. And I thought I'd try this for once with gluten-free pasta.

I used one package, cooked, of Lundberg's Rice Pasta Spaghetti, and one jar of Amy's Family Marinara.

Super veggie spaghetti pancake
Serves Four generously


I package of Lundberg GF Spaghetti, cooked al dente and drained per package directions, cooled.
1 cup each yellow onion diced and baby bella mushrooms, sauteed in 1 T. olive oil, cooled.
-or- add 1/2 cup of
Three whole eggs (or equivalent of egg white substitute)
prepared pesto (your own or jarred and skip this step).
3 T. milk (I use almond, but any type unflavored will work)
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese (fresh shredded, or packaged in the dairy case preferred). Also good is the Italian mix, or mozzarella.)
Dash of cayenne pepper, 1/2 t. salt, and generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.


2 t. butter or margarine
One ball fresh mozzarella, sliced thin


Topping:


One jar Amy's Family Marinara sauce
One 12 - 16 ounce jar of caponata (Eggplant salad). I use Trader Joe's brand
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese (I bought a bag of fresh grated/ 12 oz. and divided the use)

Saute the onion and mushrooms, seasoned to your taste (I add chopped fresh basil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper) and set aside. (OR skip this and add 1/2 cup prepared pesto into the egg mix).
Mix remaining ingredients and fold in cooled spaghetti, mushrooms, and onions.
Heat a well-seasoned 10-inch cast iron or oven-safe skillet and melt butter. Add mixture to pan and press down. Cook on stove top for about 8-10 minutes until bottom is brown. Top should be still moist and a little liquid.


Top with fresh mozzarella slices and place in oven on broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese bubbles.
Remove from oven and slide from pan onto serving platter. (If you do this in a cast-iron skillet, cut it into four pieces at this point and continue).


Top lightly with sauce, and then pass remaining sauce. Serve with a salad and crusty GF bread.


Much love, and enjoy! Thank you Fortune PR for this opportunity. I continue to be an avid support of Amy's gluten-free products.

Ging
















No comments: