Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

That Holiday Quandary: Stuffing v. Dressing

Quandary: (noun) A difficult situation; a practical dilemma

OK, I admit. I'm not a stuffing person. I'm a DRESSING person. I'm Southern, and I have always loved and devoured dressing at Thanksgiving. Matter of fact, I pretty much only want dressing for the holidays.

The fine folks at Canyon Bakehouse got me thinking about stuffing this year with this recipe for GF Stuffing.  They suggest you use two loafs of their White bread for it. cubed and toasted.

Know what?  Their bread is to darn tasty to use as stuffing fodder. Save it for the great turkey sandwiches, ham sandwiches, toast (you follow me, right? It's GREAT BREAD!)

But have a look at this fine recipe. Thank you Megan for your patience. It has tested well as written. I urge you to try the bread.

Canyon Bakehouse Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe 
2 Loaves of Canyon Bakehouse Whole Grain Mountain White Bread 1/3 Cup butter ½ Cup chopped celery 2 Tablespoons chopped onions 1 Teaspoon poultry seasoning ½ Teaspoon salt ¼ Teaspoon pepper 2 Eggs Approx 1 cup turkey or chicken broth (be sure it's gluten free! *I had to add more)Approx ½ cup milk 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toast Canyon Bakehouse Whole Grain Mountain White Bread until slightly brown and cool completely. Once cooled crumble bread into a large bowl. Sauté celery and onion in butter until softened, 5-10 minutes. Add onion/celery mix to toasted bread crumbs then add seasonings. Mix well. Add enough milk to moisten then add 2 eggs and mix well. Next, add the broth until very moist and mix well. Transfer mixture to a greased shallow baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes until cooked through golden brown. Slightly stir the stuffing half way through baking time. Enjoy! 
I do have a slight adaptation to this recipe that I really liked. Brown one pound of medium bulk sausage (turkey or pork) and drain thoroughly.  Add two chopped and peeled apples (your choice, but I used Gala). Saute briefly and add to the mixture.  Bake as usual.

You can make this recipe dairy free, vegan, etc. Why not? 

I also think this can be poured into a Crock Pot and cooked on low for about two hours, and I think it would yield the same texture and taste. And save oven time and space, too.... I like my dressing and stuffing moist, not too crusty.

Now, if you want dressing...I got it. An original I stand by.
My Gluten-free cornbread dressing

PS Trader Joe's now has a cornstarch based, reads gluten free Turkey gravy that is shelf stable. Just a suggestion. 

Much love,
Ging

No comments: