Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Gluten Free Chick walks in with a bar....



This short post is about the wonderful new GLUTEN-FREE snack bars available on the market for us.

For the first year I was gluten free, I ate A LOT of bars.  Then I got burned out on them because they are often high in Weight Watchers Points.

That has sure changed.

There are three* I really want to give a shout out to today.  I am enjoying them all as part of my balanced meals on Weight Watchers. I received samples of all of these from the producers of the product, but I assure you I've bought several of them since myself.  All of these bars have different uses for me personally, and each one has a defined personality.  I really can't choose among them, so I keep them all handy!





1.  Pamela's Products Whenever Bars are really pretty amazing to eat.  I especially love the Oat Raisin Walnut Spice bar, which tastes like a great big oatmeal cookie!  It has 180 calories, 24 carbs and is fairly low in sugar.  It's not high in Weight Watcher points at 5 -- but it is fairly low in protein; however, paired with some lowfat cheese, it makes a really delicious breakfast choice.  I tried these after the GIG conference when Marion shared them with me.  They come is several different flavors, too.  Like all of Pamela's Products, they're gluten and wheat free and have the utmost integrity!  The fact that they're a nice chunky bar means they're also filling.



2.  The new TrueBar from Bakery on Main.  Now, I admit I have been a fan of Bakery on Main since day 12 on the gluten-free lifestyle program.  It was the first granola I found.  They have great GF Granola Bars (which I like a lot, and they're GF) that are new on the market. *OK, they have two I'm counting as one.  But they're both great.

Ah, but the TrueBar.  There's something really delish about those bars. I love the titles:  "I'm a coconut cashew bar with nothing to hide."  Yum  (OK, I haven't devoured that one yet.  But I did ear the apricot one and was in heaven...)  They're a little higher in Weight Watchers points (around 7 each) and are higher in carbs, but there are some days you want a higher carb/protein balance.  And they're just darned cute.  At $2 each (with a lower price at some places) they're a good snack bar for an airplane ride or car trip.


3.  I got three samples of the Luna Protein Bar, and I really like them for a lot of reasons.  For 5 Weight Watchers Points, I end up with a protein-packed bar with a little carb boost.  That really seems the most optimal for my blood sugar.

There was a long discussion on Twitter if these bars tasted good -- I have to say I especially enjoyed the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar and the Cookie Dough.  I know.  Cookie Dough?  Seriously, they're all gluten free and I do love them.  I bought two boxes on sale at Target the other day (I need coupons, hint hint). I also caught them on sale at Big Lots, in date, marked Gluten Free, for 70 cents each. 



  • Serving Size 1 bar (45g)
  • Calories 190
  • Calories from fat 80
*Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • Amount/Serving%DV*
  • Total Fat 9g14%
  • Sat. Fat 3.5g18%
  • Trans Fat 0gNone
  • Cholesterol 0mg0%
  • Sodium 220mg9%
  • Potassium 125mg4%
  • Amount/Serving%DV*
  • Total Carb. 20g7%
  • Dietary Fiber 3g12%
  • Insoluble Fiber 1gNone
  • Sugars 12gNone
  • Other Carb. 5gNone
  • Protein 12g24%
Vit A 10%* Vit C 20%* Calcium 25%* Iron 15%* Vit D 15%* Vit E 30%* Thiamin (B1 )10%* Riboflavin(B2) 10%* Niacin (B3) 10%* Vit B6 20%* Folate (B9) 30%* Vit B12 20

These bars really cut off a blood sugar drop while filling me up.  With a cold or hot drink, I can actually have one of these as a meal.  They're really good for those chemo-shot reaction days (for me, at least). 

I hope you'll consider one or all of these products.  They're tasty and good.

Much love,
Ging 





2 comments:

lntpita said...

I love the think thin bars are labeled GF on the front I have thr creamy peanut butter in front of me (my fav is the esspressso chip) 230 cal 8g fat 23 carbs BUT 20 g protien

Jules said...

Great post, Ginger! I also love the LUNA Chocolate-Peanut Butter Bar. I need to try the Bakery On Main ones you reviewed - they sound great! As always, thanks for sharing your great GF info!
~jules
JulesGlutenFree.com