Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

#GF Fried Green Tomato Cornbread



I know I haven't posted recipes in, well, forever.  But this one (and a few to follow in the next week) have really been a surprising success and I wanted to share.

So as usual, a short story:  I LOVE friend green tomatoes in a cornmeal crust, but I am still very lacking of energy to stand up and fry a whole pan full. or two. With my illness in full force, I'm good for about 30 - 45 minutes tops in a kitchen.

So I though -- how about trying a mix of a good buttermilk cornbread with chopped green tomatoes? I make a nice crispy cornbread, and it's the balance of soft tomatoes and crunchy cornmeal.

Recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 degree.  *Using a medium iron skillet, warm 1/4 cup vegetable oil.

mix:
2 cups of firm diced green tomatoes (I had four medium ones).
1/3 cup of buttermilk (I use lowfat -- you could easily use a milk sub if you had to)
1 T. of Creole Seasoning (or hot sauce) and 1 t. of salt. (you can make it milder -- but you need the salt).
1/4 c. diced onion or shallots (again, can be left out).

Mix this and let stand for about 20 minutes.

Add:

1 cup flour (#GF) or Pamela's Baking Mix.  I happened to have Pamela's handy . If you're not GF a cup of regular AP flour.
1 cup yellow #gf corn meal
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 t. baking powder and baking soda

Stir til mixed. The mixture will be very lumpy but loose.  Add more buttermilk if needed.

*If you use a cast-iron skillet, take it out of the oven now and pour all but a light coating of oil into the mix.  Put the pan back in the oven while you thoroughly mix the batter, then pour it into the skillet. It should sizzle when you add the cornbread mix.

Bake until golden brown on top, about 35 minutes, and a pick inserted comes out clean.



Invert onto a plate and slice into slices.  Serve with butter of course.



************
Notes:
Now, if you're not like me with what I call a dedicated cornbread pan (mine is used ONLY for cornbread!) the whole sizzling oil won't work. Just add 1/4 cup oil (or melted butter) to the mix and pour it in a greased pan.  I'd do it in a Pyrex pan, probably.  An 8 square inch one.

Also, you could use  a package of Bob's Red Mill Cornbread Mix , or a bag of Pamela's Cornbread Mix, adapting for buttermilk, etc. Don't use a sweet cornbread mix, though

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Much love,
Ging

No comments: