Monday, December 14, 2009
Super quick gluten-free turtles
My friend Melinda Martin told me about this, and I thought gluten-free pretzels would make a nice base. And since gf pretzels are so toasted, you can do this in the microwave without hurting the pretzel.
A bag of GF pretzels
Several rolls of Rolo candies
A can of toasted, salted pecans
Line a microwave-safe plate with a piece of parchment paper. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
If your pecans halves aren't toasted/roasted, toast lightly in a pan or oven for a few minutes. But really, it's easy to find them already roasted this time of year. They taste great with plain pecans, too.
1. Buy a bag of gluten-free pretzel twists. Lay the pretzels out on the plate in a batch of 8.
2. Take a roll of Rolo gf candy and separate pieces, placing on top of pretzels.There are 8 Rolos in each roll.
3. Microwave the plate for 15 seconds and check to see if the Rolos have softenend. If not, return in 5 second intervals until they're soft and melting (but not melted).
4, Remove from microwave and immediately press a toasted pecan half on top, smushing it down and covering the pretzel.
5. Set aside to harden (can refrigerate, but you don't have to).
Gently remove from paper when hardened and enjoy.
1. ANY kind of pecan will do, from plain to roasted to sweet and spicy to praline. And if you want another kind of nut, you of course can.
I entered this recipe in a Twitter contest last week and won a prize for it! So for sure, I'm recommending it.
Try it, you'll enjoy it and your friends will too.
Much love, and happy holidays!