Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Ham I am....

with apologies to Dr.Seuss....

But I was at the Publix today and noticed that the "leftover" hams are starting to get marked down, since Christmas and New Year's are over.

I made a variation of Alton Brown's City Ham yesterday, and I wanted to share it with you, since you might procure a ham in the next couple of weeks on the mark-down rack.

Follow Alton's directions for precooking and peeling the skin off the ham. But, instead of using his glaze, try this:

You will need:
one cup (or thereabouts) of dijon mustard
one-half cup of dark brown sugar
one cup of Apple Butter

yes, I said apple butter. Buy some at the WalMart or the produce stand (I prefer the homemade version I've listed here, but you can buy yours).

Slather the ham with mustard. Pack on the brown sugar. Then, smear on the apple butter.

Finish in a 350 degree oven covered tightly for one hour or thereabouts. Let it set for a half hour, and carve. There will be a beautiful, tangy, rich glaze.

Much love, and then YUM!
Ging

2 comments:

Julie, the mama said...

This sounds delicious. Now I can't wait to go on a cheap ham hunt!

Courtney said...

I came across your blog from my friend kyle who knows someone you know (I don't remember her name..) but she calls her son Boss.. anyway.. I saw your blog and I too love to cook and love Alton Brown.. so I'm going to try this ham receipe! Thanks!