Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Thursday, August 14, 2008

A perfect summer recipe - Pulled pork and coleslaw

I've been cooking a lot lately, since Randy is on a mega-diet and I'm the supportive wife :-) except when I'm eating cupcakes and popcorn in Chicago. Mostly it has been ultra simple grilled chicken and fish, a basic roast, things I've already posted here.

Since today was my first day of school (grrrrrr he has another week and a day) I decided to make something spicy and delicious in the Crock Pot. Of course, this was just before I discovered that Jeffrey left the freezer door open outside on Monday, thus defrosting my ancient freezer (and ruining a ton of food). Double grrrr....I was gonna have a GOOD day, I could tell.

Anyway, I thought I'd try pulled pork. Except, I had no idea how to do it that would work for the diet.

Funny thing, it was as good as any pulled pork I've ever had. And topped with our creamy crunchy cole slaw, it was a winner.

So here's the recipe...

Pulled pork

1 2-3 pound pork roast, lean (I used one by Smithfield with Paula's Deen face on it...) I suppose you could use loin, or tenderloins, but I used a boneless roast I got in a cryo-pack at Wally World...
1/2 cup organic ketchup (tomato sauce would also work) It is less sweet than regular because it has no HFCS.
1/4 cup GF worcestershire sauce
1 T. Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning (can't live without it)
1 t. Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning (GF)

Put roast in Crock Pot and season - add ketchup and worcestershire. Roll roast in sauce. Cover and cook on simmer hi for 6-9 hours until pork is fork tender and can be pulled apart. NOTE: You have to watch it toward the end, since all the seasoning will cook out (as will the fat) and caramelize in the bottom of the Crock Pot.

Shred pork. Add 2 T. of sherry vinegar and 2 T. hot sauce of choice (or to taste if you don't like spicy).

Spicy crunchy cole slaw

1 bag angel hair cole slaw mix (thanks, Angela...)
1 small bunch of green onions, chopped (I used Penzeys freeze dried shallots, but if Randy weren't here, I'd use the green onions).
1/2 cup dill pickle juice (straight from the jar...or cider vinegar and 1/2 t, dried dill)
Generous sprinkle (2 t.) of shallot or garlic salt (oooh Steve, I used that shallot salt. TDF...)
1/2 cup sugar free pickle cubes (or relish, if you have no sugar issues like we do)
2 T. mayo (I use Duke's) You can use light or fat free, but I don't...they contain HFCS.
Several generous grind of pepper (I actually used Penzeys Florida Pepper)

In a big bowl, put the cole slaw mix and onion together and season with salt. Let sit for a few minutes, then add the pickles and stir. Add the pickle juice, then add the mayo last. Stir well. It has a nice sweet/sour flavor. If there's any left when Randy leave, I'm adding back the onions.........

Much love, and Chow, y'all...
Ging

4 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

I love pulled pork and coleslaw! My wife makes both of those items from scratch, and they are quite wonderful. I agree: great summer recipes (though, I admit I will eat them all year round too)

Gluten free Kay said...

Shallot salt?!
MUST . . . HAVE . . . SOME!
Is that from Penzey's?

This is definitely a winning combination for summer eating!

a kelly said...

You read my mind! I've been craving pulled pork! This sounds great and I'll give it a try.

Gluten Free Steve said...

LOVE the shallot salt!