Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Kate's Great Virtual GF BBQ (A Sunday Blessing)



First, I'd like to say that Kate, the genius behind Gluten Free Gobsmacked, is a blessing, no matter what day of the week it is!

She decided a couple of weeks ago she wanted to do a virtual BBQ -- she, GF Stevie and I were discussing it in one of our "family chats." And now she's organized it.

I took the letter F, and I offer for this feast "Freakin' Awesome Tropical Chicken."

Friends, this is better than any teriyaki chicken I've ever eaten, it's very easy, and it can be done on the grill or in the oven.

I promised Kate I'd "keep it clean," first, because when I took the letter F...well my friends know my love of dropping an F bomb, as it were. But literally, it's a "Clean" recipe because it contains 1) no added fats or transfats, 2) no (or a miniscule amount) of High Fructose Corn Syrup, and 3) Can be made with totally organic/hormone free chicken and products. So, in the vernacular of the movement, it's "clean."

And friends, it's delish. I took it to a potluck last night, and I had no trouble sending leftovers home with our friends. Randy just had some for lunch, and it reheated well. And it would make a great chicken salad with some nuts and more pineapple.

Credit-where-credit-is-due department
: This recipe was first posted on the Delphi list by a super cook and mom named Jen, who has a five year old daughter named Vicky who was diagnosed with CD as a baby. Jen is a superwoman -- professional career, doting and devoted mom, and a genius on CD and children. Friends, if you have a child with CD, you should find Jen on the Delphi list and make her your friend. She is an inspiration to me every day. She has been a kind friend for a year now, and I hope she knows I appreciate and send much love to her. THIS IS HER RECIPE. I just added two ingredients.

Freakin' Awesome Tropical Chicken
(Recipe from Jen, adapted by Ging)

Serves 12-16: For 4 boneless breasts, just halve the recipe: you’ll probably have extra marinade, but that is ok.

8 lbs. cut up chicken (or boneless, skinless breasts)
*Ging note: If I were doing this in the oven for a potluck again, I would use boneless, skinless thighs. They will hold better. I also think this would be FA with boneless pork chops!
Marinade
1/4 cup prepared mustard (I used French's and Dijon, mixed)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup GF soy sauce or wheat-free tamari
1 can (20 oz.) crushed pineapple with juice
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I used ginger juice)
-these were my additions-
2 T. Chinese Chili Sauce (optional)
Six cloves fresh garlic, crushed

Combine all ingredients except chicken. Marinate chicken in mixture (ziplock bag/fridge) for at least 4-6 hours. (I did mine overnight with no ill effects.)
Outside directions: Drain the chicken in a colander and grill on your favorite grill til done. A nice addition -- sliced fresh pineapple, grilled on the side.
Rainy-day Indoor Preparation: Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken and about half the marinade (try to keep the pineapple and garlic part) in roaster-type pan – the chicken should nearly be covered with the marinade, but not quite). Bake until done -- it took me about 75 minutes in a convection oven.)

I am thinking about making this for my Dad for a Father's Day dinner. And all you non-GF friends out there, just use the regular soy sauce.

Much love, especially to my BBFF (best blogging family forever) Kate!
(Kate, did I link it to you right?)
Grillin' Ging

4 comments:

Bill said...

Yummy! Gonna have to try that one out for sure!

Kate said...

Ging - You link with love, babe. It's perfect. :)

This sounds great - send my love and thanks to Jen for letting this get posted outside of the forums too!

:)
-Kate

Ann said...

This looks really good.... This would be a great July 4th entree..

Stephanie ODea said...

This sounds amazing! I'm going to try it!
yum!
-steph