Adventures in Gluten (and Sugar) Freedom from a southern blogger chick!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The best Macaroni and Cheese ever...


Note: Not dairy free. Not egg free. By no stretch of the imagination fat free. But sooooo tasty!

I love macaroni and cheese. It is my favorite food ever. And when I went GF, I was wondering if I'd ever have it again.

Now that I've found the TInkyada brand pastas, I can have my mac and eat it too.

I have to credit where credit is due: I have adapted this recipe by the brilliant Scott Peacock of Watershed in Decatur, Georgia. It's in his cookbook, too. I found it in the newspaper about 10 years ago, and it remains my favorite. Now, with the wonderful Tinkyada elbows, it is ever better.

One tip: I find with the GF pasta (and I don't use any other brand now) that it takes a little longer to bake. Start with 30 minutes, and watch it in five minute increments. Also, for some reason, this Mac and Cheese tastes even better the next day!

This is my tried and true adaptation:

Scott Peacock's Macaroni and Cheese
10 Servings

Recipe Ingredients
1 3/4 c Small elbow macaroni (use Tinkyada for GF version)
1 1/4 c Extra-sharp cheddar cheese
(5 oz) -- cubed (I use Cabot Farms 50 percent reduced fat with great results)
2 2/3 tb Brown Rice Flour
1 1/2 ts Salt
1 1/2 ts Dijon mustard
1/4 ts Ground pepper
1/8 ts Cayenne
1/8 ts Ground nutmeg OPTIONAL: I hate nutmeg
1 1/3 c Half and half
1 1/3 c Whipping cream
2/3 c light Sour cream
2 large Eggs (or egg substitute)
3/4 ts Worcestershire sauce (I use a GF variety)
1 1/4 c Packed extra-sharp cheese (5
Oz) -- grated (again, I use Cabot Farms 50 percent


Recipe Method
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter 9x13x2-inch glass baking dish. Cook
macaroni in lg saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender but still
firm to bite. (If you use Tinkyada, use the energy saving method and drain at about 10 minutes.)
Drain pasta. Transfer to prepared dish. Mix in cubed cheese.

Whisk flour, salt, mustard, black pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg in
medium bowl until no lumps remain. Gradually whisk in half and half, then
whipping cream and sour cream. Add eggs and Worcestershire sauce; whisk to
blend. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to blend. Sprinkle grated cheese
over.

Bake macaroni and cheese until just set around edges but sauce is still
liquid in center, about 30 mins. Remove from oven; let stand 10 mins to
thicken slightly (sauce will be creamy).

Recipe By : Scott Peacock, formerly of Horseradish Grill, Atlanta

No comments: